Monday, June 11, 2012

Spending Summers in Brooklyn

As I may have said in the past, I was born and raised in Queens in a town much closer to Long Island called Bellerose.  For anybody who is familiar with Bellerose, it was the Queens Village/Bellerose borderline.  I also spent a lot of summers as a child in my grandmother's apartment in Brooklyn.  Her apartment is what most New Yorkers would call huge.  I have vivid memories of my sister and I playing hide and seek in her apartment, which had tons of hiding space.  That's right, while my husband was spending summers in a cabin in the mountains of Maine, I was spending mine in Brooklyn, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I also remember her delicious Croatian cooking, going to Manhattan Beach and bringing a picnic and sitting on the picnic tables under the trees, going to the amusement parks, going to the park to play in the unbelievably huge sprinklers, buying fish at the pet store and just walking around aimlessly around the streets with my grandma who bought a change purse full of quarters so that my sister and I can ride the quarter pony rides and get prizes from the mystery clucking chickens (anybody remember them?!!!!).

Growing up in the city sure is an adventure. It encourages you to use your imagination to have fun and to make the best out of what you have.






Photo: liveglamordie

No comments:

Post a Comment