Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Kitchen Storage Part 1

When we got this place, the kitchen was a nightmare.  Who am I kidding? It still is... The floor was so disgusting that even if I attempted to explain the condition it was in, I don't think anybody would really understand.  We scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed, and...scrubbed.  Dirt came out but its still greasy (I guess this is the price you pay for cheapness near the city) and now we are in the process of putting down a cheap floor and once that is done I am pretty positive I can finally be comfortable here.

If you can believe it, this place had no counter space whatsoever.  It has storage under the sink and above and also a very very old built in cabinet (pictured below) that we have been storing quick food (canned foods, cereal, boxed stuff, etc...) but, both of us being great cooks (he a great cook, me a great baker) counter space is absolutely necessary.  Our solution: we bought counter space from Ikea. Where do we eat? For now we eat on the couch, but we have a fold out table which we will be screwing into the wall. When the entire project is done I shall write an update.



This is the built in cabinet.  We can just call is rustic chic (aka shanty chic) for now.  I will continue to store all boxed and canned goods on the shelves and keep any sort of junk in the draws since I think that's all it's really good for. We put down sticky shelf paper where the dishes are because I just don't trust the oldness of it.  I'm sure at one time it was beautiful wood.


Here is the amazing Ikea counter space that my wonderful husband bought and put together while I was at work. I must say he made me a very happy wife when I came home from work that night.


Fold out table for two will be installed after the floor.


And here, people, is the disgusting rustic chic floor I was writing about.  Doesn't look that bad now (still ugly in my opinion) but I really should have taken the pre-cleaning picture. These tiles make me wonder...was this kitchen once a bathroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment